Skip to content


  • Are refreshments provided?

    Tea, coffee and water are provided free of charge to all visitors.

  • As a Lay Applicant, can I challenge a decision not to certify that there is a case to answer?

    There is a right of appeal by the Lay Applicant to the High Court under section 49(2), Solicitors Act 1974 (as amended). The parties to the appeal are you as the person challenging the decision (called the Appellant) and the solicitor(s) against whom your application is made. You must provide a copy of your application…

  • Can I find out whether a solicitor has ever appeared before the SDT?

    Yes. If the name of the solicitor you are interested in does not appear in the Judgment search, please contact us and a member of staff will provide an answer.

  • Can I have a copy of a Judgment?

    Yes, in most cases. Judgments are published on our website in accordance with our Judgment Publication Policy.  This Policy sets out how long different types of Judgment will remain on the website.  Judgments which have been removed from the website in accordance with the Policy can normally be obtained from the Tribunal’s office.  Please contact us and a member of staff will…

  • Can I watch a Tribunal hearing?

    Yes. Most hearings are open to the public and we encourage remote attendance by Zoom. However, any party to a case and any person who claims to be affected by it can apply to the Tribunal for the hearing, or part of it, to be held in private on the grounds of exceptional hardship or…

  • Can the Tribunal award compensation?

    The Tribunal does not have power to award compensation. The Legal Ombudsman does have power to do so. Please see the Legal Ombudsman’s website for more details.

  • Do I have to inform the Tribunal about my appeal to the Administrative Court?

    Yes, you must tell the Chair of the Tribunal from whose decision the appeal is brought that you are appealing against the decision – see Civil Procedure Rules Rule 52 and Practice Direction 52D, paragraph 3.4 You must send your Appellant’s Notice marked for the attention of the Chair of the Tribunal which heard your…

  • How do I appeal against a substantive decision of the Tribunal?

    Appeals from substantive decisions of the Tribunal lie to the Administrative Court. The Tribunal is not a party to appeals from its substantive decisions. Appeals from substantive decisions of the Tribunal are made to the Administrative Court. As from 1 October 2013, the time limit for lodging an appeal is 21 days from when the…

  • How do I obtain a transcript of a hearing?

    The Tribunal does not produce written transcripts of its hearings; however, it does provide audio copies of hearings available on request.  A copy of a hearing is not available when the hearing took place in private or when the Tribunal has ordered that the recording should not be released.  Parties to a case are always…

  • How soon after a final hearing will the Judgment be made available?

    The SDT aims to produce judgments within seven weeks of the last day of the hearing in 85% of cases. Judgments may take longer to produce in lengthy and/or complex cases.

More resources

You’ll find a range of useful SDT resources here, from guides and forms to our FAQs and policies.