Corporate Social Responsibility
At the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal, we recognise the importance of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) as a fundamental aspect of our operations.
This Statement of Intent outlines our commitment to implement a robust CSR strategy which aligns with our vision and values, contributes to the environmental well-being of Tribunal stakeholders and staff and supports long-term sustainability.
Our intention is to incorporate a CSR strategy over a phased period. We will implement initiatives gradually, allowing us to continue the transition into a more socially responsible organisation whilst evaluating impact and managing resources.
We will routinely review our objectives to identify areas for improvement and growth and updates will be provided here.
Our Strategic Goals
To ensure that all aspects of how we operate support our social responsibilities to those who work and interact with the Tribunal. We will:
- Pay all staff and contractors, the London Living Wage, as a minimum. The principle of equal pay for equal work will apply to all members and staff.
- Conduct a full review of existing policies to ensure that they are fit for purpose and relevant today and take proper account of the organisation’s social and ethical responsibilities.
- Develop a policy covering all those who have caring responsibilities. This will include, but not be limited to, a full review of maternity and paternity provision.
- Have designated staff representatives who will make representations to the Executive Team and the Board on an ongoing basis.
To ensure that we support and contribute to our local community and wider society. We will:
- Ensure that all policies issued by the Board and Executive Team going forward have regard to the environmental impact of that policy and its wider impact on the organisation’s social and ethical responsibilities.
- Collaborate with local charity/charities, community groups or schools, which will be promoted appropriately in our communications, and/or on our website and be the focus of our ongoing charitable fundraising and community activities for any given period.
- Participate in days of local community work in order to give something back to the local community while also facilitating team building within the organisation.
- Encourage staff and members to take part in in the London Legal Walk each year to raise funds for the London Legal Support Trust.
- Participate also in other fundraising activities year-round such as sponsored walks, runs, cycle rides etc.
To ensure that we play our part in combatting the effects of climate change, we will:
- Explore joining the Legal Sustainability Alliance, the leading sustainability network for law firms & the UK legal sector.
- Undertake to ensure that all new policy made by the Tribunal includes a risk assessment of the impact of that policy for sustainability purposes .
- Review the expenses policy to incorporate any appropriate sustainability improvements, such as to emphasise use of public transport where possible.
- Continue to review our office operations to be as environmentally friendly as possible (this includes ensuring effective recycling takes place, eliminate use of single-use plastics and packaging so far as reasonably possible, ensuring that office supplies are ethically and responsibly sourced).
- Seek to remain as paper-free as possible as an organisation.